New members with no previous VRS service credit whose membership date is on or after January 1, 2014 are eligible to participate in the Hybrid Retirement Plan.
Eligible New Members
- Full-time permanent, salaried state employees.
- Faculty of Virginia public colleges and universities.
- Full-time permanent, salaried teachers and administrative employees of the state's public school divisions.
- Full-time permanent, salaried employees of VRS-participating political subdivisions, such as cities, counties, towns, authorities and certain school personnel.
- Judges appointed or elected to an original term on or after January 1, 2014.
- New members who are eligible for an optional retirement plan (ORP) must elect either an ORP or the Hybrid Retirement Plan.
Ineligible New Members
- State Police Officers' Retirement System (SPORS) members.
- Virginia Law Officers' Retirement System (VaLORS) members.
- Political subdivision members who are covered by enhanced benefits for hazardous-duty employees.