Financial Planning Services
VRS and MissionSquare Retirement invite all members and retirees to connect with a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional to help with your comprehensive financial planning needs. Schedule a one-on-one consultation for personalized guidance or attend a live webinar with our CFP® professionals on a variety of financial topics.
Participation in a VRS Defined Contribution Plan is not required to take advantage of these services.
Meet with a CFP® Professional
Sign up for a free consultation focused on your entire household with a comprehensive view of your financial situation and your family’s overall financial wellness.
You may include your spouse or loved one in the conversation. Topics often include:
- Debt reduction
- Budgeting help
- Saving for education
- Protecting your loved ones
- Optimizing Social Security benefits
- Estate planning
Please take a moment to prepare for your appointment.
- Jot down questions and think about your goals for the meeting.
- If you request a full financial plan (available at an additional cost), bring your VRS Member Benefit Profile (your annual benefits statement available in myVRS) for a more holistic view of your future. Financial plans require several discussions (two to four planning hours, approximately five to six weeks to complete a full financial plan).
Attend a Live Financial Planning Webinar
Sign up for free webinars with CFP® professionals to help meet your education needs as you journey, to and through, retirement. Topics include:
- Spending habits
- Investing do’s and don’ts
- Women and money
- Financial planning
- College planning
- Retirement income planning
Prefer to learn at your own pace? Visit myVRS Financial Wellness.
Do I need a CFP® professional?
Our CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals work together with your local DC Plans Specialist and your VRS Member Counseling Center to help you plan for the future you envision.
Contact the right team member for your needs.
|Team members||My role||Topics I often assist with|
|CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professionals||I help with your financial questions and situations including paying down debt, creating a budget, saving for education, starting an estate plan or determining when to take Social Security. Financial plans are available (these require a lengthier discussion.||
|DC Plans Specialists||I help with your Defined Contribution Plan (DCP)* retirement questions including enrolling in your eligible plan, understanding investment options, increasing contributions and accessing plan resources.||
VRS Member Counseling Center
|I help with your VRS benefit and pension questions.||
Financial Planning Services and Costs
|DCP* account balance is||30-minute one-on-one consultation with a CFP® professional||Virtual seminars led by a CFP® professional||Financial plan with with a CFP® professional|
|Less than $100k, or you do not have a DCP account||no cost||no cost||$175 per financial plan|
|Greater than $100k||no cost||no cost||no cost|
*VRS Defined Contribution Plan (DCP) accounts include:
- Commonwealth of Virginia 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Virginia Cash Match Plan 401(a)
- Hybrid Retirement Plan
- ORP for Political Appointees
- ORP for School Superintendents
- ORP for Higher Education (MissionSquare Retirement is the record keeper)
- Virginia Supplemental Retirement Plan